Thursday, August 26, 2010

Grilled Cheese, Yes Please!



A restaurant down the street from us had THE BEST grilled cheese sandwich I've ever had. Unfortunately, the chef decided to move to greener pastures and THE BEST was no longer available on the menu. We recreated it tonight with a little something extra (you really can't go wrong with bacon). The bread was purchased for a local bakery (only 5 ingredients listed). Melt a small amount of butter in the iron skillet instead of coating the bread. Spread brie on one piece of bread then top with thinly sliced apple (next time we're going to try Granny Smiths for a more tart flavor), pepper bacon (yes, the pepper makes a HUGE difference), finish off with enough provolone to cover the apple and bacon, then add the top slice of bread. Once melted, remove sandwich, add more butter and return sandwich to skillet for toasting the other side. Simply delish!

6 comments:

heather said...

Yum!

Aly said...

I'm so mad they took the grilled cheese off the menu, I refuse to go back. PHOOEY.

lab said...

this was delicious. only i do not like any cheese except mozerella. and it was great with this.

KenshoStudio said...

Sounds awesome! Did you pepper the bacon yourself or buy it already prepared a special way?

Very cool--thanks!
Andy

The Photo Goo said...

We bought Peppered Bacon from the store. I don't think I can go back to regular now :)

laura said...

I heard some bragging on these sandwiches. When I am there next, I will expect one.