Monday, October 12, 2009

Author, Author?

We've had tickets to see David Sedaris for about three months and I finally got to attend the event last night. He is one of my favorite authors and we caught him on a book tour about 6 years ago so I was pretty pumped about seeing him again. After each talk, he signs books for the public and talks to you for potential material. Years ago when he chatted with him, he asked Ryan how long we've been dating. "Three years" said Ryan, "hmm" responded David. He signed our book and we left. In the parking lot, I checked the inside cover and it said "I think Ryan has something he wants to ask you." We were engaged a couple months later :)

Click here to hear a podcast of a piece he wrote for the The New Yorker, called "Author, Author?", it's about his book tour and the strange characters he meets.

3 comments:

designergirl007 said...

I had never heard that story before. No wonder you were so excited to see him. What great memories!!

HaydensMom said...

I hadn't heard the story of the signed book, that's so sweet. I went to see him here, the advice that he gave the couple in front of me wasn't so sweet.

laura said...

I really enjoyed getting to hear him. I went home and reread "Me Talk Pretty One Day" while his voice was still fresh in my head. Thanks.