Thursday, March 4, 2010

Modes of Transportation

I started off early this morning and made my way to the bus station. It took about 15 minutes to find the right bus to Newport. I sent R a text saying I hope it was the right bus but the state is small so I couldn't get too lost. As a designer, I noticed these three graphics. The first is a No Smoking symbol, the last one looks like a radio from the 80's. Not sure about the middle one.

After I arrived at Newport, I found the local trolley and hopped on for a little sight seeing. The driver was extremely nice and dropped me off in front of the Breaker's Mansion. It was unbelievable, talk about curb appeal! The mansion was used as a summer "cottage" for the Vanderbilt Family in the early 1900's. The architect Richard Morris Hunt was inspired by 16th century palaces in Genoa and Turin and it includes 70 rooms. My favorite part was the bathtub that had 4 knobs (hot and cold water and hot and cold sea water).

I would definitely visit Newport again. There are 10 different mansions to tour but during the winter season only a few are open.

My date met me at the train station for travel to Boston. The train information board caught my attention because it makes a ticking noise everytime the status flips over. I'm used to the airport signs were everything is electronic, it was nice to see a good old fashion flip of status.

We stopped in this little hide-away for a cup of tea. The waitress said it would be ready in two turns of the timer. I love the small touches.

3 comments:

Kerrie said...

The middle sign is a hot dog and coke - no eating on board. I can't take credit - Marc figured it out immediately.

Ryan said...

I had a really good time. Our trip did give me city-itis though.

lab said...

another state to mark off you map. at this rate you could be finished in less than 5 years.