Tuesday, January 25, 2011

First Day of Pre-School


I'm not sure what he was thinking in this picture but it's probably pure excitement. He was dressed by 7 and had his backpack on at 7:30. I tried to explain that school didn't start until 8:30 but he was excited and ready to go. All good signs :)


I told him to turn to the side so I could get a shot of Thomas. I love this picture.

I was really concerned how he would react today so I've been mentally preparing him. We discussed what would happen several times so he knew I wasn't staying there. I walked him to his classroom, hung up his coat and helped with the hand washing. After 10 minutes, I decided it was time to go. I asked to have a hug. He hesitated at first but then gave me one of the best hugs ever. As I was walking out of the building, I lost it. The tears were rolling down and I was just trying to make it to the car before anyone saw me. I wish I wore my sunglasses. I can't believe we're to this point already. It makes me so sad, happy and proud of him. It's hard to explain until you've gone through it.

My morning flew by and before I knew it, pick up time was already here. As I was reaching for the handle to open the door, I heard a familiar cry. Yes, my baby was in the hallway crying but the teacher was right next to him. As soon as he saw me, he latched on. His teacher told me he got upset (aka crying) every time they switched rooms. H is the type of person who doesn't like surprises and doesn't just go with the flow. He needs time to think and adjust. As we were leaving the building, he said he didn't want to come back. Yikes again.

You know what the best cure is for a day like this? A lunch date with his favorite person . . . DADA. We had a nice pizza lunch and his world was sunny again. Later he told me he cried during music class while the other kids were singing and he didn't like to sing. I'm pretty sure it's because he didn't know the words yet. 

What next? We'll try it again on Thursday. He told Ryan tonight, he was ready to go back again. Thank goodness. What a roller coast of emotions . . . for Harrison and me!

8 comments:

JR said...

Funny pictures! I was reading this and thought that alot of time had passed that I was unaware of - you know when you used to go to school at 5. Since when did pre-school start before they were 3?!

Shannon said...

I hear you! I just signed Westin up for Kid's Day Out at our church. He will only be going 1 day a week but I am totally stressing! Haha It is from 9-2 but since he doesn't take a bottle or sippy cup, I'll only be leaving him for 3-4 hours. In the fall though he will go all day. It is going to be so hard but I know he and I need it. I want him to get used to being around other kids and get comfortable away from me. I'm so nervous about it! His first class is Feb. 7th but we will be out of town so I'm a little relieved. Lol

Aly said...

It seems as if there's a good Llama Llama book about going to school, and it might help ... I suppose it's too late now to suggest it, though.

H said...

I just started E in classes last week - its only for an hour 2 days a week but its so hard! Today when I dropped her off she keep saying "please dont go Mommy" but she had a great time - I know its good for her - thats what you have to remember!!

Kerrie said...

So proud for you and H! That's a tough step but it sounds like you guys did great! Enjoy the few hours of quiet on preschool mornings before July gets here!

Melissa Bruning said...

Baby boy! Just wait he'll be teaching all the other kids how to googlie and talk in complete sentences.

lab said...

what a great story. be sure and save this one for 2027 to compare to his first day of college.

KenshoStudio said...

Wow, that's tough. I think the only thing tougher would be . . . two! Whew, my hat's off to you, Amanda!
Andy & Michele