Friday, January 21, 2011

School Stress


I thought this graphic was fitting for today's post. As some of you know, I've been dealing with the stress of finding a pre-school program for Harrison. I wanted to start him somewhere soon so he's used to going to school BEFORE the baby comes and I feel he's at the age where he can really benefit in a school setting. Well, in my mind I was going to send him to the Montessori school down the street where our neighbors kids attend, no problem, right? Wrong. Sorry, no openings but probably in June. WHAT? JUNE? The baby is due in July, can he handle the changes? Can I? Panic activated! So I called about 8 different places, some were only full time (I'm looking for 2 or 3 half days a week to start), others didn't return my calls, and the rest I was on the waiting list. Most of them said they would have openings this fall. FALL? Like in 7 months from now? Yikes.

I'm still new to this whole mothering thing and this has been quite a lesson for me. I ended up asking Aunt B to see if her friends knew of any good pre-schools within our section of town (another requirement from me in case I need to get there in a hurry, plus less car time is a good thing). She recommended two and I almost didn't call b/c I'd given up then I thought what the heck. 

"Hello, do you have any part-time opening for a 2 1/2 year old, well 3 year old in April, who isn't potty trained" (you have to add the potty training part b/c they will ask and some require). Yes, we do. YOU DO!!! Great, we'll be there tomorrow to check it out (this was yesterday).

So the next day, Ryan was off work and we brought Harrison to his first school. I was really impressed with the program, the maximum class size is 12 and there are two teachers in every class. They have a craft project each day, music class or chapel, recess time (playgrounds indoor and outdoor), healthy snack time and class activities. All this in a half a day. As we were leaving, H wouldn't get in the truck b/c he didn't want to leave the school! Now, we'll see how next Tuesday goes when Mama and Dada aren't there . . .

1 comment:

lab said...

sounds like that turned out just right. lucky you. lucky dada. lucky harrison.