Tuesday, August 21, 2012

The Day


Today I left some dishes dirty,
The bed got made around 3:30.
The diapers soaked a little longer,
The odor grew a little stronger.
The crumbs I spilled the day before
Are staring at me from the floor.
The fingerprints there on the wall
Will likely be there still next fall.
The dirty streaks on those windowpanes
Will still be there next time it rains.
Shame on you, you sit and say,
Just what did you do today?
I held a baby till she slept,
I held a toddler while he wept.
I played a game of hide and seek,
I squeezed a toy so it would squeak.
I pulled a wagon, sang a song,
Taught a child right from wrong.
What did I do this whole day through?
Not much that shows, I guess that's true.
Unless you think that what I've done,
Might be important to someone
With deep green eyes and soft blonde hair,
If that is true... I've done my share.

1 comment:

Kensho Studio said...

Love this! And I totally agree!! A Mom's work doesn't show on the outside, but it lasts a lifetime for those she is caring for and those around her. Mom's are the BEST!!!!
~Michele